Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sewing 101

The weekend before last I took the plunge and purchased a Singer sewing machine since I've been having the urge to learn for the last few months.  Before then I have never sewed a day in my life beyond the occasional hand stitching.



The first night I practiced sewing lines and lines of stitching on remnants of fabric that I purchased. Once I felt comfortable enough I moved onto simple throw pillows. My first 3 looked alright except the hand stitching was awful.  I later learned I wasn't even doing it right! Go figure.  My next 4 turned out pretty darn good. 


Next up, I moved to a Learn to Sew pattern put out by Simplicity for pillowcases. First 2 were good, couple minor mistakes (need to take pictures).  So, yesterday, and the day before I made two more while taking pictures this time.








Pillowcase #3

 Pillowcase #4

This weekend we decided to get a tad crazy! Now, Sam has taken a sewing class, sewn with his mom, and worked for a sewing company long before met (which I didn't know about) so we decided to jump into a dress pattern for Charlotte, since we figured he could do it.  Now, I do love it when a man doesn't limit himself to the traditional gender specific hobbies, and while my hubby is a damn good computer programmer he can also sew too (and cook)!  He did most of the work on this dress... I did a one or two very basic things like stitch the front panel to the back. 

It ended up being a good practice run and turned out pretty good  We have enough (different) fabrics for him to do another dress like this, a toddler dress in another pattern, and really nice long sun dress for me. 






I ended up finding some gorgeous upholstery fabric this weekend at Hobby Lobby marked down to $4/a yard (down from $21/a yard).  So I bought the last 3 yards that they had, and i have 7 -18 inch pillows cut out to be stitched and stuffed today. I am very excited about those. Also as I write this I have a load of fabric going in my washer for a bunch of cloth napkins and a basic pair of pajama bottoms that I am going to attempt (another Learn to Sew pattern).  This weekend I am going to pick up some more fabric for more pants and possibly some for skirts too!


Not sewing but I FINALLY finished a crochet afghan I kept stopping and starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment